- This event has passed.
SWESRS EGM – Wednesday 17th February
Wednesday February 17 @ 8:00 pm
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/97344177850 Meeting ID: 973 4417 7850
If you wish to join by phone please call one of the following numbers and use the above Meeting ID:
020 8080 6591
020 8080 6592
Voting will be either by post or online
- If you wish to vote online please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the email address you wish to use for voting purposes - we will need an email address for every person voting. Online voting will take place as part of the meeting.
- If you are using postal voting please leave enough time to allow for the postal system – you may find it better to complete the form below, scan or photograph it and then email it back to email@example.com .
Resolution One: To amend Article 3 of the Constitution as follows:
A resolution passed at a general meeting shall be required confirming the engagement or dismissal of one or more ministers.
(a)The appointment of a Minister shall be vested in Council, subject to such prior consultation with the community as is deemed necessary by Council regarding the requirements of such a post.
(b) The dismissal of a Minister shall be vested in Council with strict adherence to ACAS guidelines.
Council is recommending a change to Article 3 for the reasons below, following HR advice from Reform Judaism:
1. This change is in line with other charities where Board members are voted in at an AGM but are responsible for appointing the Chief Executive. It is incumbent on the community to trust its elected Council, and on Council to treat applicants and employees alike respectfully and ethically.
2. The lack of confidentiality inherent in a public vote will restrict applications now as it has done in the past and is unsuitable as a recruitment and employment practice. Current practice breaks confidentiality procedures as a candidate must be assured of confidentiality until such time as an offer has been both made and accepted.
3. It is unethical and against ACAS guidelines to have dismissal decided by a large group of people (i.e. up to 1,000 community members) and would leave SWESRS open to unfair dismissal claims.
Resolution Two: This has been withdrawn.
Resolution Three A, B, C: To confirm the appointment of: 3A Lucille Leaf, 3B Hugh Noble and 3C Bernard Davis as new life vice-presidents of SWESRS.